Whether you are venturing out into cottage country for 50 kilometres or several hundred kilometres across the province or cross-border, your car needs to be ready for the journey. If not, your family road trip could end up being stressful and annoying rather than fun and memorable. You may find you are stuck on the side of the road in a remote area, hoping a car driving by will stop and help. Or you are waiting for roadside assistance from the company you called and they can’t reach you in a hurry. You can prevent the hassle of a breakdown just by planning ahead and doing a little pre-trip maintenance on your vehicle. At least one week before you head out, get a vehicle service or oil change and inspection in Markham at AutoNiche to get you ready for the road.
Things to Check in your Vehicle before Your Trip
A few days before your scheduled departure date, do a proper check of your vehicle. Some things you will want to look for include:
- Tires – Check your tire pressure now and the day before you leave. Make sure you have an adequate spare that is properly inflated and readily available for those unexpected nails and tire blowouts. Also, check the wear on your treads. If you have limited tread left, consider replacing the tires before heading out. If you replace the tires, remember to get a wheel alignment too.
- Lights – Examine all headlights, brake lights, turn signal lights, license plate lights, and interior lights. Anything faulty should be replaced.
- Wiper Blades – If your wiper blades are dry or leave streaks, change them. You do not want to be stuck in the middle of a rainstorm with poor wiper blades.
Pack Your Car the Right Way
While the snacks and drinks are all up to you, there are some things you will want to pack in your car to ensure you are prepared, including:
- Maps and guidebooks (what if you don’t get reception for GPS?)
- Mobile phones and car chargers
- Extra car fluids (like engine oil or coolant) and fuses for your car
- Emergency kit with car tools including jumper cables, a flashlight, tire sealant, etc.
- Music and entertainment—it is a long trip, so why sit in silence?
Book Your Car Service Ahead of Your Family Road Trip
Regardless of how long ago you had your car serviced, take it in for an inspection and oil change in Markham before your trip. During your oil change, have the technicians inspect the car and let them know you are about to set out on a long road trip. They will inspect the common breakdown culprits to make sure your vehicle is good to go.
Book your car service in Markham with AutoNiche today. Call us with your questions.